Subject: Re: Quadra 950
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: dan dockery <danarchyendeneu@mail.endeneu.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/11/1998 13:48:10
>> It's in a similar boat with the IIfx and Quadra 900.  On these three
>> machines, Apple installed "IOP"s that handle ADB, serial I/O and at
>> least in the IIfx, SCSI.  These IOPs are barely mentioned in Apple's
>> documentation.  They're basically 6502 processors that are dedicated
>> to doing I/O, but that's about all I know about them.
>
>I forgot to mention that it is possible to get the machine up and
>running basically as a network server with no console, but I don't think
>that's what you're looking for...

heh.  while that would be fun, i think i'll pass.  it might be ok at home,
since i'm sure this would make a nice system for NAT/DNS, but there's no
real need for either at work.  incidentally, does one have the chance to
edit the ttys file after completing the installation and before rebooting?
otherwise how would one get logged in as root on a default netbsd
installation with no serial consoles or keyboard?  by default isn't ttyp0
not secure?

>BTW, Dan's mail server doesn't know user danarchyendeneu and seems to
>think that I'm trying to use him as a relay!?

arrgh.  just use danarchy@endeneu.com.  i'll fix the rest later.

-dan