Subject: startx hangs with 800x600 pixels (15 inch)
From: charlie an <charlie@tradeit.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/11/1998 11:00:21
Hello everyone!

I re-installed BSD 1.3 on my Quadra 610 since now it's color X with OSFA!

At the resolution of 600x400, 16 bit depth worked great. It actually rocks!

But...with 800x600 resolution, startx hangs after it prints a line telling me the correct resolution and depth. It happens with both the MacX68k that comes with the xbase.tgz (1.3?) and OSFA's, and regardless whether in 1 bit or else. The FAQ told me to give it as much time as possible, but it really seemed it hung there.

In "db" shell, "ps" showed that there were a number of xterm processes running. "continue" printed a line something like "kernel panic". Now back to "db", the first "reboot" printed out "MMU fault" among others... the second "reboot" actually rebooted.

Can anyone shed a light on as where to look into? Is it simply a matter of re-configuring some parameters in some rc or init files? If so, how? I really want to make this work at higher resolution so that I can have a bigger picture of the files I will stare at.

Oh, BTW, it's a view sonic 15 inch (or maybe really a 14 inch) monitor. Another thing I've noticed was, in the dialog box brought up by the "monitor" menu item of the booter application, the "Change resolution" check box is grayed out (I can't recall if it's already checked) and the 600x400 radio button is checked by default. I wonder if it was telling me that my video card wouldn't work in other resolutions? But why?

Thanks in advance.

Charlie