Subject: Re: modemd vs. getty vs. mgetty etc. && serial port problems
To: Ryan Ordway <rimsky@teleport.com>
From: Eric Damien Berna <eric@thiel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/11/1998 08:22:54
At 5:05 PM -0600 11/10/98, Ryan Ordway wrote:

>	Modemd is actually the first gettyesque program I've gotten to
>accept a modem login. I tried getty for quite awhile on my old modem and
>it would never quite work, and I've not had the time to fiddle with mgetty
>to get it to work with the mac hardware. If anyone has any suggestions I'd
>appreciate it. I'd rather use a gettyish program to do the modem
>connection work and have it pass the connection over to login or the BBS
>program than have to deal with the serial port stuff myself in the BBS
>code. Much easier for me ;-)

I used mgetty on a Mac IIcx under NetBSD without any problems.  To make it
run, I grabbed the FreeBSD port (what NetBSD calls packages).  The NetBSD
package system fails to install it, but it applies the BSD patches.  After
running make in the package directory you can follow the standard mgetty
install instructions with the files in the working directory of the
package.

I'm not running it any longer, so I can't check specifics any longer.  I
was running two modems for PPP dial ups, but the machine was too slow.  I
replaced it with a Sonic QuickStream Pro.  I will try to answer any
questions you may have.

Eric Damien Berna
eric@thiel.com

NetBSD 1.3.1 on a Mac IIcx
NetBSD-current on a Mac Quadra 950
	(Indefinitely down, my wife is using it)