Subject: Re: Apple Ethernet Twisted-Pair NB
To: None <dair@dircon.co.uk>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/11/1998 22:25:34
On Wed, 11 Nov 1998 07:55:33 +0000, Dair Grant wrote:

> Good news - this patch appears to work. I can now boot, and the card
> appears to be recognised (no hang at startup, and the MAC address is now
> correct).

Good.

> However, I'm unable to actually connect to other hosts: trying to ping
> other machines from this host, or ping this machine from other hosts,
> fails.

Ouch.

> Having said that, tcpdump appears to claim that something is going
> between the machines.

Weird.

> The IIsi running NetBSD is sideshowbob, and portia is an NT box that's
> pinging sideshowbob.
>
>  sideshowbob# tcpdump
>  tcpdump: listening on sn0
>  22:00:46.392401 arp who-has sideshowbob tell portia
>  22:00:46.393062 arp reply sideshowbob is-at 8:0:7:dc:55:77
>  22:00:47.342503 arp who-has sideshowbob tell portia
>  22:00:47.343161 arp reply sideshowbob is-at 8:0:7:dc:55:77
>
> I think I've set up my rc.conf, resolv.conf, hosts, and ifconfig.sn0
> files correctly: given the above traffic, and that the card functions OK
> under MacOS, any ideas as to why I can't actually connect anywhere?

Yes, my driver patch isn't quite correct.

Joking aside, did you get any error message on sideshowbob's console?
Something like "sn0: Tx - timeout" (could be a little different; it's
from top of my head)?

Also, content of your /etc/ifconfig.sn0 and outputs of "ifconfig -a"
before and after sn0 is "configured" may be helpful (You don't have
to tell us your real IP address if you don't feel like).

Ken