Subject: modemd vs. getty vs. mgetty etc. && serial port problems
From: Ryan Ordway <rimsky@teleport.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/10/1998 15:05:38
	I recently wrote up a little BBS system to run on my Q630, and
have had hellish problems so far with my modem connections. I'm not sure
if it's something with my modem, or modemd or a quirk in the Mac serial
ports.

	Right now I'm using a SupraExpress 33.6 modem and modemd run from
init(1) with this /etc/ttys entry:

tty00   "/usr/pkg/sbin/modemd supra-fast" unknown on

	This is helping already because I just realized I left off dtrcts.
But, the problem, which may be related to that, is that when people didn't
logout properly the send/recieve lights would light up like a Christmas
tree and the modem wouldn't hangup the line properly. If the user logged
out of their shell properly, there would be no problem. I had 2 people log
in this morning while I was asleep, 1 was on for 2 hours and one was on
for 5 hours, no problems, then I found the 3rd person's shell process and
his BBS process running on tty00 after he had been logged off for 2 hours.

	I just added dtrcts, but is there anything else that could cause
this? Here is my modemcap entry for supra-fast:

supra-fast:\
        :fd=&F1:is=W2&C1%C1%E1M0S110=3:pa=none:hf:bt#8:bs#40:br#38400:bo:\
        :lp=/usr/bin/login:

	It's basically the entry from the sample modemcap file, with &F1
rather than &F2 which didn't work (this is supposed to be for the 14.4 and
28.8 Supra modems)

	Modemd is actually the first gettyesque program I've gotten to
accept a modem login. I tried getty for quite awhile on my old modem and
it would never quite work, and I've not had the time to fiddle with mgetty
to get it to work with the mac hardware. If anyone has any suggestions I'd
appreciate it. I'd rather use a gettyish program to do the modem
connection work and have it pass the connection over to login or the BBS
program than have to deal with the serial port stuff myself in the BBS
code. Much easier for me ;-)

	TIA,

	Ryan

--
HELO... my name is rewt... you have SIGKILLed my father... prepare to vi!