Subject: LC040 questions
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: David Huggins-Daines <bn711@freenet.carleton.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/10/1998 13:02:04
I've recently come into posession of a Centris 610, and, of course, I've
installed NetBSD on it (and I'm going to install Debian GNU/Linux as well
once I solve this FPU problem, since Linux has no FPE whatsoever...)

Of course, it's got a hideously broken LC040 processor, so userland segfaults
in strange and random places.  I expected this to happen, of course, having
read the FAQ, and so on (in fact, I was happily surprised that NetBSD would
actually boot to a quasi-useable state, since Linux/mac68k, having no FPE
whatsoever, just sits at the "Mounting root filesystem read-only" point)

However, I've got two remaining questions:

1) While I've still got the broken processor, can I be of any service as a
guinea pig for new and improved FPE implementations?

2) Does anyone know where to get a full-fledged 68040 processor (part number
MC68040RC25)?  I tried a local electronics place, and they said it was
"blue-chip" (whatever that means...) and therefore would cost me
$430CDN... a full order of magnitude greater than Motorola's wholesale
price of around $14US!  Sonnet sells upgrade kits, but these are similarly
over-priced.  Is there any mail-order electronic components company that
might sell me one cheaply?

Cheers

--
          David Huggins-Daines - bn711@freenet.carleton.ca
           PGP public key #63A8B719 on public key servers