Subject: Re: Repeated crash in CURRENT
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/09/1998 17:22:20
I don't think that a trace will be much help - but of course it won't
hurt.

I've been seeing similar crashes with every kernel I've built since the
recent signal "situation".  Adding or removing things from the kernel
(ie, moving things around in memory) result in different crash details.
The only thing that I've seen that is consistent in all the crashes is
that they always occur during _very_ heavy disk I/O, like when savecore
or kvm_mkdb is run.  Most of the time, it's a MMU fault like Richard
had, but sometimes it's an Illegal Instruction.  Never in exactly the
same place...  Sounds like an interrupt routine somewhere is stomping on
something it shouldn't stomp on (based on the fact that different things
get trashed at different boots).  I've even seen a couple of times when
the virtual address causing the MMU fault was actually some ASCII text
(ie, v = 0x46574230, which corresponds to 'FWB0')!!!

The last time I built a kernel that didn't have these problems was back
on 8-August, so I'd be willing to bet that something has changed since
that time.  Perhaps there's another egcs gode-gen bug in m68k (as there
apparently is in the -current, or at least very recent, i386 egcs)?

On Mon, 9 Nov 1998, Colin Wood wrote:

> Richard Massey wrote:
> > This is the 2nd (or 3rd) time CURRENT has crashed in the same place on
> > startup (multiuser).

	8< details snipped >8

> what does a 'trace' at the debugger prompt show?
>
> --
> Colin Wood                                 cwood@ichips.intel.com
> Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation
> I speak only on my own behalf, not for my employer.

| Paul Goyette      | PGP DSS Key fingerprint:   | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Engineer  |   BCD7 5301 9513 58A6 0DBC |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker |   91EB ADB1 A280 3B79 9221 |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |