Subject: Re: network+16bppX+netscape+kernel+hw mods questions
To: Marc Coevoet <mcoevoet@katho.be>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/09/1998 17:14:23
Marc Coevoet wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have put a Colour Classic and a IIsi in a network (both asante 32K,
> LC-PDS
> and nubus respectively), I can do ftp (166Kb/s), but a telnet-login
> fails (is denied).

this is either in the mac68k or the netbsd faq.  (stop trying to log in as
root, log in as yourself).

> Where do I set this thing.  I thought it might be in /etc/ttys, but I
> can not guess

yes, that's the necessary file.  a 'man 5 ttys' will probably suffice.

> which one that would be...  (and where the medium, or the device for it
> is set).
>
> I boot in colour on a Colour Classic, startx says 16bits per pixel (I
> don't
> know if that could be true, I use Xosfa as the X server).  When I run
> netscape my display is too small, but when I try the -geometry tag, X
> quits.  I fetched one of the first netscape binaries, maybe that is the
> reason...

possibly.  i've noticed a lot of funny errors with netscape.  you might
try a newer version of the binary if you can find it.

> When I build a kernel, I need to use the 'make' distributed with netbsd,
>
> make-3.76 or so doesn't work. Same for compiler tools as cpp.
> Why's that?

ummm....what toolchain are you trying to use?  the one that ships with
netbsd should work just fine for netbsd.  as to why netbsd's is a wee bit
different from the default gnu toolchain, this is so we can support things
like shared libs with a.out format, i believe.

have you tried following the directions in the kernel-compiling howto on
www.macbsd.com?

later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation