Subject: Re: Will the jdk compile?
To: Marc Coevoet <mcoevoet@katho.be>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/09/1998 21:15:05
At 10:27 Uhr +0100 09.11.1998, Marc Coevoet wrote:
>Hauke Fath wrote:
>> The NetBSD JDK port is (like any other JDK port) a _binary_ package because
>> the JDK sources are not freely distributable -- you have to sign a license
>> agreement first.
>
>There is a free Java, see www.kaffe.org.  I do not know how up-to date
>it is, all that it should compile & work on a netbsd machine...

Right, but it does not take you far on i386, and even less so on m68k. I
ported the last JDK 1.0.2 compatible version of the Kaffe JIT to m68k a
while back; I never heard of anyone who moved the code to newer versions.

The BISS derived L&F is plain ugly for someone who has learned the value of
good design on a Macintosh - even Motif is prettier than that. And, worse,
any non-trivial application (e.g. jCVS) will confront you with ... ummm...
quirks - its developers have worked around JDK's bugs, not the BISS AWT's.
At some point I simply lost interest, and the NetBSD JDK port runs quite
nicely on i386.

There'd definitely be a point in getting it to run on m68k.

	hauke