Subject: Re: a snapshot
To: Michael Hendrick <mlh@csranet.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/08/1998 08:57:22
On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, Michael Hendrick wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Nov 1998, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>
> > Yes! I can build and run a current system only if I don't access any
> > other disk but the boot disk. Just "disklabel sd1" often panics
> > immediately, or soon thereafter. It seems to have a better chance of
>
> I have had this happen under 1.3.2 when trying to install a disklabel on a
> new drive.  The command "disklabel sd2" whould either work or panic the
> kernel.  I finally gave up and partitioned the drive from MacOS.

That could be the well-know problem of too many partitions on a drive.
It's also triggered by the crappy, zero length partitions left by
some formatters, among other things.

This is different. For one thing, I've been using all three drives,
partitioned just as they are now, for over a year. This only shows up
with current kernels built after August 30. For another, I can boot
from sd1, and run "disklabel sd1" all day long. In that case, it's
"disklabel sd0" or "disklabel sd2" that causes it to wierd out.

I've finally filed a pr on this, port-mac68k/6411. That's at
<http://www.NetBSD.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=6411>, for
any interested parties who aren't familiar with the database.