Subject: Re: a snapshot
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/07/1998 18:20:01
Hmmm.  I'm wondering if you're seeing the same random panics I've been
having with my SLOTMAN kernels recently.  Never seem to get the same
panic twice.  Always seems to happen during periods of heavy disk I/O.
And only happens when trying to get into  multi-user;  single-user is
fine.  Most common panics are MMU faults and/or Illegal Instructions.

The funny thing is, a GENERIC kernel (with my SLOTMAN changes) works OK,
but a custom kernel (with all the devices either commented out or wired
down hard) fails every time.

On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, Ken Nakata wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Nov 1998 15:49:59 -0800, Space Case wrote:
> > Somewhat belatedly, a snapshot has been uploaded:
> >
> >   ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/mac68k/binary
> >
> > This snapshot is based on Oct. 31 sources.
>
> Are you or anybody experiencing any seemingly-random kernel panics?
> I've done make build of current as of Oct. 30, and kernel dies with
> various panics.
>
> For instance:
>
> panic: intr_dispatch: bad vec 0x365
> Stopped in fsck_ffs at Debugger+0x6: unlk a6
> db> t
> _Debugger(...)+6
> _panic(...)+50
> _intr_dispatch(bd94)+1c
> _intrhand(?)
> _vn_lock(9387ec,20002,d0c,1,2000)+a
> _spec_open(93be14)+150
> _vn_open(93bee4,1,4e8)+31a
> _sys_open(922604,93bf88,93bf80)+7e
> _syscall(5)+146
> _trap0()+e
> db>
>
> Or,
>
> panic: pool_get: rusgepl: page empty
> db> t
> pool_get(...)+...
> exit1(...)+...
> sys_exit(...)+...
> syscall(...)+...
> db>
>
> It died at least twice more with different causes, but I didn't write
> down.
>
> This is on a Quadra 840AV with 96M RAM.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken

| Paul Goyette      | PGP DSS Key fingerprint:   | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Engineer  |   BCD7 5301 9513 58A6 0DBC |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker |   91EB ADB1 A280 3B79 9221 |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |