Subject: re: Drive woes.
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Bob Gustafson <bobgus@mcs.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/06/1998 14:44:34
>From others:
>	* Check the maufacturer's website...you may find a clue there.
>
>	* Aside from that there is the sorry third prognosis...that your dirve
>may be on it's way out.
>

>Good luck!

Most of the newer SCSI drives have an extension to the SCSI command set
called S.M.A.R.T.  (Quantum has had it for a couple of years, IBM has it
now, etc.).

Querying the drive's SMART will tell you temperature, spin motor current,
etc. which may tell you something about the health of the drive itself.
CharisMac has a control panel which works with their Anubus Utilities which
displays these parameters for each disk.  I don't have it yet, but
CharisMac called yesterday and said it was on its way.

This may be a help to you - I will post the parameters I get from my drives
for comparison.

BobG