Subject: Re: moving telnet to another port
To: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Steve Quint <squint@flash.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/05/1998 18:44:51
At 4:11 PM -0800 11/5/98, Dr. Bill Studenmund wrote:

>I'm not sure what all uses /etc/services (other than inetd, obviously :-)
>, but have the gut instinct that changing "well-defined" values to
>non-standard ones can cause a problem. Or more accuratly, it might  cause
>one a while in the future.

I can't confirm this right now, but I know of at least one other program
that uses /etc/services... the telnet program itself.  I once changed the
telnetd port on a Linux box, and could no longer telnet out from that
machine without specifying port 23.  I'd be surprised if BSD* telnet is
much different in this regard.

Steve

"Always ... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is
better. And twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad. And too
much is never enough except when it's just about right."
			-- The Tick