Subject: Re: moving telnet to another port
To: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
From: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/05/1998 17:29:02
On Thu, 5 Nov 1998, Paul Goyette wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Nov 1998, Dr. Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
> > ?? Are you sure? The 1.3.2 man page says that inetd looks in /etc/services
> > to know where to hook up telnetd. telnetd should just take the sockets its
> > given, and seems to. I've had multiple telnetd's running on a machine
> > (some with kerberos, some w/o).
>
> >From the -current man page as of August 8, 1998:
>
> 	FILES
> 	     /etc/services
> 	     /etc/inittab (UNICOS systems only)
> 	     /etc/iptos (if supported)
>
> But, as I said, I didn't read the source.  :)  And your explanation
> makes much more sense.  So, why _does_ telnetd use /etc/services ???

I think it doesn't, but the man page mentions it in the text, so it's in
the FILES section. Here's the top of the page:

                       telnetd is normally invoked by the internet
     server (see inetd(8))  for requests to connect to the TELNET port as in-
     dicated by the /etc/services file (see services(5)).

Take care,

Bill