Subject: IPNat and Ethernet
To: NetBSD Digest <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Mark de Jong <mdj@home.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/04/1998 23:09:04
Hi,

I was reading the "How-TO regarding IP-NAT" by Armen Babikyan,
armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu and came to the following disturbing line:

"if you have a cable modem you wish to route data over, be sure to have the
correct device number (cable modem and your lan will both be using
Ethernet, so you will need two Ethernet cards for your machine!) and
replace the device number (most likely either ae0 or ae1)."

Do I really need two ethernet cards for this to work? My goal is to make my
MacIIcx my gateway machine for all the rest of my Macs on the net. Up until
now I have been running "IPNetRouter" under MacOS, and it works great ...
with one ethernet connection.

Is there anyway to use IP-Nat on NetBSD without the need for two ethernet
cards?

Thanks.

	-- Mark

Mark de Jong                Macintosh Development              mdj@home.com