Subject: Re: tty settings
To: None <fb@enteract.com>
From: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/04/1998 11:13:50
// Pc is a gettytab entry, not a termcap entry. It's main purpose is to
// set up the line _before_ you login. On the console, vt220 works fine
// for me; what is it that works strangely for you? This is what I have
// in my {.bash_login, .login}:

The main gripe was Ctrl-spc/Ctrl-@ not being recgonized.  The other
instance of weirdness?  I have the vi motion keys; h, j, k, l mapped to
the arrow keys.  On the keyboard.  In Command mode..they work fine.  If
insert mode, using them results in an A, B, C, or D being
generated...one to a line.  In emacs--they generated single charracters
(even stranger was when I tried to remap them to motion keys--diagonal
lines of A, B , C & D's  :-)

I had the command 'tset vt220' in my ~/.login, and had experimented with
a few things in the term/tty man pages--notably 'pass 8' (pass 8 bit
characters) and also turning of parity bits ( -parenb )...so that 8 bit
characters could be passed.  I'll look it up. Thanks for the tip.

Just curious...from the console, can you invoke vi, and type the
sequence <Ctrl-V Ctrl-@> and have something show up?

// eval `command tset -s vt220`
// stty crt -istrip
//
//The -istrip give you the eight-bit characters.

Steve Revilak
revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu