Subject: Re: termcap
To: Richard Massey <richardm@clear.net.nz>
From: Kazuyoshi Kato kaz-k <kazk@yyy.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/04/1998 15:44:44
> How does a complete novice edit a termcap file?
> The standard xterm (xterm-r6) has unusual (VT style) escape strings for
> F1 to F4 (k1 to k4) in the file and more usual strings after this.
> I changed the termcap file to reflect the strings expected by our host with
> no effect. I suspect that the problem is that the termcap.db file is what
> is being used :-(. I attempted to edit this using vi but got strange
> xconsole behaviour and reverted to the original settings.
>
> What I need is function keys reporting the following
> k1(F1)        /E[11~          currently       /EOP
> k2(F2)        /E[12~                          /EOQ
> k3(F3)        /E[13~                          /EOR
> k4(F4)        /E[14~                          /EOS
> k5(F5)        /E[15~                          /E[15~ (ie OK)
> etc
>
> Thanks
> Richard

  You don't need to modify original termcap
file(/usr/share/misc/termcap) and update termcap.db with cap_mkdb,
instead creating $HOME/.termcap which have only your modified xterm
entry works fine, because tgetent() searches your $HOME/.termcap first.

  I need to have my termcap because of kterm entry which came with the
distribution is out of date.

  -- kaz-k