Subject: tty settings
To: port-mac <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/03/1998 15:12:41
I've got a question regarding the behavior of ttye0 (the basic command
line environment).  I'd like to know if it's possible to allow it to
'understand' more keyboard characters than it does by default.  For
example Ctrl-SPC and/or Ctrl-@ (ie., the 'set-mark' keys
used by editors like emacs and jove).  Defining a Meta key would be
even sweeter....

In an Xwindow environment, these are recognized perfectly well, so I'd
think that the capability exists.  Would this be a matter of changing
/etc/ttys, /etc/gettytab, or is this something that's built into the
kernel, thus requiring a custom compilation.

ttye0 seems to be vt100...reasoning that by the fact that if $TERM is
set to anythin else, certain things tend to work strangely--arrow keys
for example.

Looks like 'getty Pc' is used for the console.  Any recomendations for
another entry? (Having a zillion in termcap, I'm asking first). I
though about doing 'printenv' under X to get the 'xterm'
settings..though I can see potential for problems there as well.

I know there's the thought of 'Why not just run X or dt?'  My problem
is the need to use hfsutils on a frequent basis to get at the stuff on
my machines hfs drive.  If either X or dt is running, using any of the
hfsutils runs me smack into a kernel panic....

Thanks much.

--
Steve Revilak
revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu