Subject: HFSUTILS
To: port-mac <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/03/1998 15:37:09
Bringing me to the next topic of the day--

A few weeks ago I posted a query, asking whether others were having
problems with 'hfsutils' corrupting their Mac volumes (chronic b-tree
trashing in my case).  Got a few affirmative resonses.  Shortly
afterwards, I contacted the programs author, Rob Leslie.  Since then
we've gone back and fourth a number of times...I suppose that you
could say I've become an official beta-tester in my spare time.  (So
how do you capture stderr? :-)

So far, the corruption problem got fixed.  Rob posted a 3.2.4
release...I've been using it for three weeks, on a daily basis;
frequent disk scans of the mac volume...not a *single* problem!  In
this regard, I'd say it's *way* more stable.

Additionally, I was also experiencing 'hangs' with certain commands --
notably hdir, hcd, & hcopy.  This symptom is also drastically lessened
in 3.2.4.  An even newer version should be on the way shortly which
could very well eliminate that altogether.

I don't know how machine-specific these occurences are (I'm using a
quadra 605).

As far as the kernel panics under X & dt, Rob wasn't able to do
anything there...but suggested I approach the mailing list about it.
(Seems to be most pronounced with stuff that modifies tty settings,
strangely enough. X & dt, for certain.  Also frequently if vi was
suspended when I tried to get at a mac volume).

Now for the obvious question-- who else has had this happen?

His site is http://www.mars.org.  If you use hfsutils, you may want to
check out the newer versions.

--
Steve Revilak