Subject: re: Quantum drive // upgrade problems
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/01/1998 13:30:40
Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com> wrote:

> > The thing catching my attention -- 'Warning: xxx sectors in last cylinder
> > unallocated'.  Never had this one crop up before.

> All the error message really means is that, because the total number of
> blocks in the partition is not an exact multiple of the number of
> sectors per cylinder, it is not going to be able to map that final,
> partial "virtual" cylinder.  314 blocks is only 157KB, so don't worry
> about it!

Encouraging, that all it was was an 'I told you so message'.  Thanks.

> > Are there certain flags I should consider checking the setting of (ie--
> > blind transfers, interleave, etc)...since FWB gives the option, and apple
> > doesn't.
>
> Don't mess with those!  :)

I don't unless I have to. :-)  My work involves my spending a got bit
of time working with digital audio.  I can recall doing some
freelance work at a studio where one of the storage drives was an
absolute DOG to work with....it turned out to be an interleave that
was set to high.  Fine after a change/and reformat..then again, he
shouldn't have been messing with it in the first place :-)

I did get it to work eventually.  Not posted in this digest, but I was
given the tip of placing the root & usr partitions before swap.   That
did it.  Final configuration ended up being:

	* root partition (100mb)
	* usr (1036 mb- whatever was left)
	* swap (36 meg)
	* macOs (50 meg)

(That message is 'over on the other side' in a Eudora mailbox, so I
apologize for not thanking the person personally.)

A day now, and so far....so good.  Fingers crossed.  The quantum
fireball TM1280 was okay with root at the top....

Also FWIW, The DDS drive I have is WangDAT 3200.  (Old but it works).  I
don't know if there's a status listing for that device in particular,
but in my experience, it's been totally problem free.

Thanks for the help!

--
Steve Revilak
revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu