Subject: Re: Wordperfect on NetBSD/mac68k
To: None <ulrich.hausmann@a2e.hp.shuttle.de>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/01/1998 01:06:56
Ulrich Hausmann wrote:
> Colin Wood wrote:
> >
> > Ulrich Hausmann wrote:
> > > But, would it run on Linux/m68k machines then (altthough the implementation
> > > ofLinux to 68k based Macs, apparently, is definitely poor)? Or would it be
> > > limited to Intel based machines?
> >
> > it will only run on IA32-based machines.  i'm pretty sure they're shipping
> > binary only products, no source.  there is no binary compatibility across
> > processor architectures (at least not without some significant emulation
> > overhead).  if they deigned to ship a linux/m68k version, then it would
> > work, but i serious doubt that there is enough market to justify such a
> > decision.
>
> Colin,
>
> in the Unix related group on Delphi (nearly totally Linux and some FreeBSD) I
> got info Lotus is "thinking about" porting Lotus SmartSuite and Notes to Linux
> - open source. If that would be true, then those applications (I don't know
> them aside the word processing which is Ami Pro, right?) could be used also
> under NetBSD?

if they actually released the source for their applications, then i'm sure
someone could probably figure out a way to port it to netbsd, perhaps even
make a package out of it.  that's a pretty big "if" tho.  we'll see what
happens....

later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation