Subject: Re: Wordperfect on NetBSD/mac68k
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Ulrich Hausmann <ulrich.hausmann@a2e.hp.shuttle.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/01/1998 08:53:49
Colin Wood wrote:

> Ulrich Hausmann wrote:
> > But, would it run on Linux/m68k machines then (altthough the implementation
> > ofLinux to 68k based Macs, apparently, is definitely poor)? Or would it be
> > limited to Intel based machines?
>
> it will only run on IA32-based machines.  i'm pretty sure they're shipping
> binary only products, no source.  there is no binary compatibility across
> processor architectures (at least not without some significant emulation
> overhead).  if they deigned to ship a linux/m68k version, then it would
> work, but i serious doubt that there is enough market to justify such a
> decision.

Colin,

in the Unix related group on Delphi (nearly totally Linux and some FreeBSD) I
got info Lotus is "thinking about" porting Lotus SmartSuite and Notes to Linux
- open source. If that would be true, then those applications (I don't know
them aside the word processing which is Ami Pro, right?) could be used also
under NetBSD?

Best regards, Ulrich