Subject: Re: Wordperfect on NetBSD/mac68k
To: None <ulrich.hausmann@a2e.hp.shuttle.de>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/29/1998 10:10:39
Ulrich Hausmann wrote:
> Armen Babikyan wrote:
> >
> > At 6:22 AM +0000 10/27/98, Mattias Andersson wrote:
> > >On an e-maillist I found the following:
> > >"I slaget om Linux, s_ l_ter Corel meddela att i november kan anv_ndare av
> > >Linux, ladda ner WordPerfect 8 Personal Edition utan kostand fr_n webben.
> > >WP _r ett officeprogram med ordbehandling och kalkyl m.m.
> > >http://www.corel.com/news/1998/october/linux.htm"
> > >
> > >In english this means that Corel ships its office offering for Linux
> > >in november for free!
> > >My wuestion is if it's possible to compile a version f_r NetBSD?
> > >Wouldn't that be neat to have an office box on old mac IIs!?
> > >

> > no, unfortunately.
>
> But, would it run on Linux/m68k machines then (altthough the implementation of
> Linux to 68k based Macs, apparently, is definitely poor)? Or would it be
> limited to Intel based machines?

it will only run on IA32-based machines.  i'm pretty sure they're shipping
binary only products, no source.  there is no binary compatibility across
processor architectures (at least not without some significant emulation
overhead).  if they deigned to ship a linux/m68k version, then it would
work, but i serious doubt that there is enough market to justify such a
decision.

later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation