Subject: IIsi Ethernet
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Dair Grant <dair@dircon.co.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/29/1998 14:22:54
Hi,

I recently installed NetBSD 1.3.2 onto a IIsi, and have run into a
problem getting ethernet working.

I'm using an Apple Ethernet NB card (which uses a Sonic 83934), plugged
into an Apple PDS->NuBus converter.

The card and converter function correctly under Mac OS, and I can access
AppleTalk/IP services without problems.

When NetBSD boots, it seems to detect the card correctly - it reports:

  nubus0 at mainbus0
  sn0 at mainbus0 slot 9 address f9:00:f5:fa:ff:ff

However, it then reports:

  sn0: unexpected interrupt status 0x7fff
  sn0: receive descriptors exhausted
  sn0: receive buffers exhausted
  sn0: receive buffer area exhausted
  sn0: receive FIFO overrun

with these last 5 lines being repeated forever.

The "NetBSD/mac68k Ethernet Status" web page is a little unclear as to
whether this is to be expected or not: it says the "Apple	EtherNet NB"
card has a 68000 controller, and isn't supported on the II-series Macs.

Although this seems to be the case, the docs I have for the card say that
it's an "Apple	Ethernet NB" card with a Sonic 83934 controller - and so I
was hoping that the sn driver would support it.

Is there anything I can do to get NetBSD running with this card?

The "NetBSD/Mac Ethernet Networking HowTo" web page says that it may be
possible to run some debug code that may allow problem Ethernet
interfaces to work - I'd certainly be happy to run this, if it'd be of
any help.

-dair

(Work)  mailto:dair@lightwork.co.uk  http://www.lightwork.com/
(!Work) mailto:dair@kagi.com         http://www.kagi.com/dair/