Subject: Re: problem w/ NetBSD on a Powerbook Duo 230
To: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/26/1998 13:40:24
Dr. Bill Studenmund wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Oct 1998 nigel@ind.tansu.com.au wrote:
>
> > ..
> > > However, the booting ended with the following lines at the top of a white
> > > screen:
> > >
> > > [ preserving 323395 bytes of netbsd symbol table ]
> > > Bootstrapping NetBSD/mac68k.
> > > Getting mapping from MMU.
> > >
> > > The cursor froze just below the third line---I couldn't type anything.
> >
> > 	Hi Christopher. Basically, the kernel you are booting with is
> > not compatible with Duos. The only kernel that I have found that does
> > is an old 1.2-based one which can be found here:
> >
> > http://www.axlight.com/people/daishi/macbsd/netbsd-e.html
> >
> > 1) I think you need to install an older set of packages on your Zip
> >    disk. The 1.3.2 binaries will not run with this 1.2 based kernel
> >
> > 2) The author of this kernel had to make some changes to the VIA
> >    register and serial port mapping code. I also think that there
> >    are some memory mapping issues that have yet to be resolved on
> >    the Duos, but haven't had time to investigate yet.
>
> Is it possible to get these changes?
>
> They really should be sitting in the pr database somewhere. :-)
>
> > 3) As far as I know, none of these changes have ever been applied to
> >    the current kernels

I think that the changes were to add Michael's INTVID code plus the
PMDIRECT code to the kernel.  That's why it was working.

It is quite possible that a -current kernel will work as well.  I think
that Scott may have managed to get many of the memory mapping issues
worked out shortly before the whole signal snafu occurred.  Has anyone
tried a -current kernel from the last week or so on a PB Duo?  Just a
warning, there may be an ADB problem (Allen reported that ADB is broken on
his C610...ugh!)

Later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation