Subject: Re: new disk problems
To: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.org>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/25/1998 18:04:16
Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.org> wrote:

>I think it's OK as far as seeing the data itself, but it seems to be
>finicky about exactly what's written in the partition map itself. Someone a
>month or two ago manually changed it by editing the disk by hand & got it
>to work (although that can be a dangerous thing to try).There's definitely
>a problem with it, but I don't know that anyone even really knows what's
>wrong, much less how to fix it, other than using NetBSD tools to format the
>drive. & doing a reverse-mkfs with a Mac formatter to change the last
>partitions back to MacOS (if we could get a NetBSD-based formatter that can
>write Mac-style partition maps).

I'm not sure I fully understand what you're describing here, but the Mkfs
application can change any partition back into a MacOS HFS type.  It
won't reformat it, but the next time you boot MacOS the system will see
the partition as uninitialized and offer to do it for you (unless of
course it's still in MacOS HFS format).

-bob