Subject: new disk problems
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Dave Schmitt <dschmi1@umbc.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/24/1998 16:50:46
I am trying to upgrade from a 700MB drive to a 3.2GB drive but am having
some problems. I'm running NetBSD 1.3.1 on a MacIIci w/ a generic SBC
kernel. I partitioned the new drive w/ FWB HDT 2.5 and then used the current
version of mkfs to convert and format the root and usr partitions. I fired
up the installer to see what partition letters to use on the new drive (sd1a
for root, sd1e,f,h,i,j for the 5 user type partitions) and then made
appropriate entries in /etc/fstab to mount them (non-automaticly) in subdirs
I created under /mnt.

However, when I try to mount /dev/rsd1a (300 MB root partition on the 3.2 GB
drive) I get a message that I need to fsck it first. When I try to do this,
the machine just sits there; the disk access LED on the drive never blinks
and AFAICT absolutely nothing is happening as there is no output from fsck
whatsoever. If I try to interrupt it w/ ^C, a panic ensues. Could this be an
NCR vs SBC driver thing or is there something I screwed up? The 3.2 GB drive
is a Quantum Fireball ST and the 700 is also a Quantum drive (which came
with a PowerMac 7100) if that helps.

Barring any better suggestions, I am going to attempt to back up the files
on the 700MB drive to another machine on the network and then install the
distribution sets (prolly 1.3.2) on the 3.2GB drive from MacOS...

Dave Schmitt <dschmi1@umbc.edu>