Subject: Re: Off Topic: Wish-I-Were
To: port-mac68k <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Massey <richardm@clear.net.nz>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/22/1998 14:34:17
>On Oct 21, 11:40am, Ulrich Hausmann wrote:
>>I used a nice trick to install MacOS 8.1 onto a IIci with Daystar PPC card.
>>Essentially, I copied the IIci's System Folder to a Syquest attached then the
>>Syquest to G3 Powermac (any real PM would have been fine) booted then the G3
>>from the OS CD and choosed to update the Syquest System Folder (using the
>>option "OS for all systems" - sorry, I'm guessing here from the german
>>
>>Space Case wrote:
>>> I'm looking to fake my C610 w/PPC card into installing OS8.5 onto a Jaz
>>> disk, for educational purposes. ;-)
>
>Wish-I-Were did work for getting 8.5 onto the Jaz disk (I made it think
>it was a 6100/60), but when trying to boot from it, it still says that
>it cannot work with my hardware...
>
>~Steve

I suspect that the difference between the two attempts is that 8.1 is the
last system to contain 68K code (it will run on 040 machines) whereas 8.5
is PPC code only. Consequently the machine cannot boot successfully as the
OS has to be able to talk to the (68K in these machines) ROM.
8.1 is probably the last MacOS to run on any machine with 68K hardware
(even those with PPC cards).

Richard