Subject: out of memory
From: Joe Laffey <joe@laffeycomputer.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/21/1998 11:50:37
Hi,

I recently set up Apache on my NetBSD box (Q700). I must say it BLOWS THE
DOORS off of Quid Pro Quo on the same machine running MacOS!!

That said I got my first kernel panic today. I ran out of memory. The box
has only 20Mb of real RAM and about 100Mb of Swap. It looked like none of
the httpd processes were able to be swapped. I was netsplatting my server
to test it when it ran out of RAM.

My question is what can I do to prevent this from happening when I get a
lot of net traffic? (I do get a lot of net traffic, esp. when I released
the Graphics Innoculator anti-virus program. I had over 20000 downloads in
less than a week.) I lowered the Max_Clients in the httpd.conf to 30. This
seems to be doing the trick for now. Is that the best way to handle this?
I know I can't expect Sun Enterprise performance from a 68K Mac, but I
want to get the best I can.

Thanks,

Joe Laffey
LAFFEY Computer Imaging