Subject: Re: secure telnet
To: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/21/1998 09:51:16
At 4:41 PM -0700 10/20/98, David A. Gatwood wrote:
>On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, Joe Laffey wrote:

>>NetBSD 68k
>> >
>> > yes, it is.  you might try looking at the ssh package, tho.  it encrypts
>> > the entire session.
>>
>> This package (ssh) look promising. Now, is there a way to connect to my
>> NetBSD server at the office trhough the internet from a Mac client using
>> ssh?
>
>For a free solution, you might try NiftyTelnet and/or BetterTelnet.  I
>think they both allow ssh encryption (in certain versions), and are (I'm
>told) a lot less bloated/slow/crash prone than F/Secure (which is, I
>think, the only commercial ssh for Mac, takes a meg and a half, and even
>when run on a fast powermac, is slower than normal telnet on a Mac SE...).

The beta SSH plugin for bettertelnet 2.0 has been withdrawn from public
distribution because the author doesn't have time to support it while
debugging the new version of bettertelnet.  'Fraid you're stuck with
F/Secure for the time being.

There is a kerberos 4 plugin for bettertelnet 1.x and a kerberos 5 plugin
for bettertelnet 2.0.  That will take care of the initial login from the
MacOS machine, but you can't rlogin or telnet from that session securely.
The security is not transitive, and none of the data content of the session
is secure.