Subject: remote printing
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Brad Salai <bsalai@tmonline.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/21/1998 08:55:07
I'm not sure whether this is port-mac specific, but having solved my
network problem, thanks SUNAGAWA Keiki, I'm having trouble setting up a
remote printer.

I have a SparcPrinter working on a sparc IPX running SunOS 4.1.3, but I
can't get a printcap entry on the macintosh running 1.3.2 that will print
to it.

Has anyone done this who can send me a remote printcap entry.  The docs are
a little confusing. The example in the printcap file that comes with 1.3.2
says lp:
the docs suggest that it should be lp:port@host which I tried as
lp:515@IPX
with the ip address for IPX in /etc/hosts
192.168.123.6   IPX

but that didn't do it. Leaving lp: blank in printcap doesn't work either.

The problem may be at the IPX end, but I did add the mac to hosts.equiv,
192.168.123.3

and the printer does print normally on the IPX ie, lp file prints the file.

Any ideas?

Brad

Stephen B. Salai                            Phone (716) 325-5553
Cumpston & Shaw                             Fax    (716) 262-3906
Two State Street                            email bsalai@tmonline.com
Rochester, NY 14614