Subject: Re: Off Topic: Wish-I-Were
To: Steve Allen <wormey@eskimo.com>
From: Ulrich Hausmann <ulrich.hausmann@a2e.hp.shuttle.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/21/1998 11:40:50
Steve,

may be you don't know this and so it will be useful for you (?):

I used a nice trick to install MacOS 8.1 onto a IIci with Daystar PPC card.
Essentially, I copied the IIci's System Folder to a Syquest attached then the
Syquest to G3 Powermac (any real PM would have been fine) booted then the G3
from the OS CD and choosed to update the Syquest System Folder (using the
option "OS for all systems" - sorry, I'm guessing here from the german
version). Then, I transferred all back to the IIci hd. Worked like a charm. I
think essentially, in this way I avoided the Gestalt Id the MacOS installer
asks for and since the IIci is always a IIci even with a PPC card, it would
have installed OS 8.1 to it . . .

Best regards, Ulrich