Subject: Re: secure telnet
From: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/20/1998 20:18:10
At 6:35 PM -0500 10/20/98, Joe Laffey wrote:
>On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, Colin Wood wrote:
>
>> Joe Laffey wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > If I am loggin in through a public network what provisions does NetBSD 68k
>> > have for encrypting the login information? Isn't all of that sent
>> > cleartext by default?
>>
>> yes, it is.  you might try looking at the ssh package, tho.  it encrypts
>> the entire session.
>
>This package (ssh) look promising. Now, is there a way to connect to my
>NetBSD server at the office trhough the internet from a Mac client using
>ssh?
>
>I'd like an encrypted channel to my NetBSD box from a Mac over the net...

i use ssh on a regular basis.

at www.datafellows.com, you can download a trial version of a mac ssh
client that's time triggered to last 30 days and then stop working
(actually it continues to work if you throw away the prefs file).  The
client costs money, but i do not find the price worth it at all because the
program likes to crash at times for no good reason, and has no source so
someone could fix it.

BetterTelnet now supports ssh, but it's implementation is rather bad at the
last time i checked (then again, it had just been put in then). perhaps
it's changed since then.  when i checked, BetterTelnet required you to save
the hostname, username and password in the preferences, which i didn't like
at all.  however, BetterTelnet is released with it's full source, so
there's nothing to complain about.

those are the only ssh clients i've found in macos.

although off topic, i have not found a scp (secure-cp) implementation in
MacOS. along with the new version of ssh2, a sftp (secure-ftp) server was
made (with holes even, so i heard).  has anyone else seen/heard of either a
scp or a sftp client for macos?

thanks,

  - a