Subject: Opps, I forgot to turn it on
To: port-mac <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/20/1998 13:31:34
The fan in my DAT drive is a little noisy, therefore I tend to
leave it powered off, turning it on only when I plan on doing
backups.  Bootingwithout it turned on, it's obviously not seen by
the kernel.

However, if I realize later on that I really *do* need to use it, I'll
end up with

command-name: /dev/rst0: Device Not Configured

After which point, the only way I've been able to have the tape drive
'seen' is to reboot the machine.  (This also holds true with any other
SCSI device, including ones listed in /etc/fstab.  Ex.- having a
CD-ROM powered off at boot.  Trying to mount a disk later on using
'mount -A' also produces the 'Device Not Configured' error.)

In a nutshell, how does one rescan the SCSI bus for devices that that
might have been powered off during boottime?  Most of the man entries
involving 'devices' lie in the porgramming reference section of the man
pages.

--
Steve Revilak
revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu