Subject: Re: moving to another drive
To: None <joe@laffeycomputer.com>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/17/1998 08:50:31
On 16 Oct 98 17:03:26 -0500, Joe Laffey wrote:

> What files other than /etc and maybe /var/logss do I need to copy over to
> maintain all of my settings, etc.?

No, not /var, *unless* you have some packages installed and you don't
want to reinstall them (i.e. you are copying /usr/pkg as well).  In
that case, you should take /var/db/pkg with you to your new home.

> Can I mount a root partition as a usr partition? (i.e. can I mount my new
> root partition into the existing filesystem to copy files over?)

/mnt or /altroot can be used for the purpose.  Or, you can use *any*
directory for that matter.  You don't have to mount it over /usr, thus
making everything under /usr unaccessible.

mkdir /foo/bar
mount /dev/sd2a /foo/bar	# <- assuming your new drive is sd2
tar cf - /etc | tar -C /foo/bar -xpf -

Ken