Subject: Re: Classic II supported?
To: None <peter.pachla@virgin.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/16/1998 14:30:10
Peter Pachla wrote:
> I was wondering whether NetBSD will run on a "Classic II" since it isn't
> explicitly listed on the hardware compatability list.
>
> Is 5Mb of RAM the absolute minumum I'll need (my machine only has 4Mb) for a
> working system and can I replace my (broken) internal 80Mb hard drive with
> anything I like or will I need an "Apple approved" model IYKWIM?
>
> Finally will X run on this system?

at one point, someone had found a 1.3.2 kernel which did support the
classic II.  unfortunately, i absolutely cannot find my pointer to this
kernel.  perhaps you can search the mailing list archives for this kernel.
i know the site was somewhere in japan.....

as for running X, well, i guess that it would technically work, but with
only 4MB of RAM, it'll be painfully slow (you really can't imagine how
slow it would be if it runs at all).  i'd say 8MB is a more reasonable
minimum...however, you'll need a bigger hard drive if you want more than a
minimal netbsd installation.  any hard drive will work (ok, that's not
really true, but you don't have to have one with apple roms on it)
provided that you can partition it correctly.

i hope this helps some.

later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation