Subject: Re: Classic II supported?
To: Peter Pachla <peter.pachla@virgin.net>
From: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/16/1998 11:14:24
On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Peter Pachla wrote:

> I was wondering whether NetBSD will run on a "Classic II" since it isn't
> explicitly listed on the hardware compatability list.

I think it is, but I'm not sure. Oh, it's on the serial console-only list.
We're having difficulties with its video driver. Others can say more. :-)

> Is 5Mb of RAM the absolute minumum I'll need (my machine only has 4Mb) for a
> working system and can I replace my (broken) internal 80Mb hard drive with
> anything I like or will I need an "Apple approved" model IYKWIM?

You most certainly can use any hard disk. The disadvantage of not being an
"Apple" drive is that Apple's disk tools won't work on the drive w/o a
modification to the disk tools program.

I'd definitly recomend more memory if you can get it. Just find another
computer on its way to the graveyard... :-)

> Finally will X run on this system?

An X server (the screen)? Not unless someone fixes the video driver. But
if you had an ethernet card, you could run xterms and other x clients,
displaying on another computer. :-)

Take care,

Bill