Subject: Can video shift be corrected without a -current kernel?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Roger Fischer <roger@badger1.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/14/1998 22:26:52
>On Wed, 14 Oct 1998 18:23:42 +0200 (CST), Peter Mahnke,,, wrote:
>>
>> The XServer starts, but the display has moved to the right side ( I
>> believe the Base address does not work ).
>
>That is correct, and the problem is not with the X server but with the
>kernel (more precisely with the grf driver).
>
> Try a current snapshot kernel from
>ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/binary/kernel/.  Since
>Q650 uses NCR53C96 SCSI controller rather than 53C80, ncrscsi or sbc
>driver is a non-issue.  Try GENERIC or GENERICSBC and if you have
>trouble with your ADB devices, try one of the MRG kernels.
>
>Oh, BTW, this is definitely going to cause the "ps: proc size
>mismatch" problem.  See the NetBSD/mac68k FAQ for more details.

I'm in the same boat.  640x480 works, on my Centris 610 internal video, but
800x600 wraps.  I was able to use the SLOTMAN_HWD_SBC kernel to get decent
video, but that's probably overkill, and ... it kills my "ps" command.

Is there a way I could take just the video driver out of
-current, and compile it with the rest of the standard 1.3.2 source and get
a kernel that doesn't wrap my display?  I don't think I'm ready to jump
into -current completely.

thanks,
Roger

Roger Fischer