Subject: ftpd setup
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Joe Laffey <joe@laffeycomputer.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/14/1998 20:25:00
Hey again,

I am trying to setup ftpd and wanted to make sure I had things configured
right. I was perusing the man page and found a nice description of how to
setup your ftp directories. I got to the part below and had a couple of
questions...

~ftp/etc       Make this directory owned by ``root'' and unwritable
                          by anyone (mode 555).  The files pwd.db (see
                          passwd(5))  and group (see group(5))  must be
pre-
                          sent for the ls command to be able to produce
owner
                          names rather than numbers.  The password field in
                          passwd is not used, and should not contain real
                          passwords.  The file motd, if present, will be
                          printed after a successful login.  These files
                          should be mode 444.

Which files is this refering to? at one point it says pwd.db and then later
is says "password field in passwd" is not used. What files hould goin this
directory? Should they be symlinks?

NetBSD is great! I just saved my company $300 by not having to buy a MacOS
nameserver! (Although QuickDNS has a little slicker interface... I can't
telnet to it from anywhere, though!)

Thanks!

Joe Laffey
LAFFEY Computer Imaging