Subject: Erratic booting & panics
To: NetBSD <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Jeffrey Ohlmann <jaohlma@wcnet.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/12/1998 17:49:36
I have a Q650, running NetBSD 1.3.2 with a generic kernel.  The machine is
very nice when it's up and running, often for weeks at a time.  When
circumstances make it necessary to shutdown & reboot, the following
sequence of events occurs, with alarming regularity:

1. shutdown -r from NetBSD; Mac reboots and I get chimes of death and a
sad mac.
2. Restart Mac.  Boots into MacOS fine.
3. Boot NetBSD.  Boot proceeds a short way and then the kernel panics.
Reboot from the debugger.  Mac OS boots fine.
4. Boot NetBSD again.  This time a nasty kernel panic with pages and
pages of errors flying by.  Restart the Mac with the power button.  MacOS
boots fine.
5. Boot NetBSD again, and this time no problems, we're back up and running.

Any thoughts on why this is happening?  I am making no changes to
anything between the boot attempts.

Thanks,

Jeffrey Ohlmann