Subject: Re: xlog from using different Xserver
To: Chris Jewell <jewell@jewellce.es.dupont.com>
From: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/11/1998 11:49:48
Hi,

On Fri, 9 Oct 1998, Chris Jewell wrote:

> When I tried usign a different Xserver (Xmac68k file that I downloaded
> from Mark Andres's page) my error log got this message.

First of all, any Xserver on my homeage is probably very old (like
1.3-ALPHA), so keep that in mind.

> Fatal server error:
> could not open default font 'fixed'
> X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

This should be one of two things: A) You did not install the xfont.tgz;
or B) when you installed the fonts, you did not get the permissions right.
The safest way to install the X tarballs is to use the -p option in tar to
preserve the original permissions.

  tar zxvpf xfont.tgz

Mark

   Mark Andres               E-mail: mark@giganet.net