Subject: Re: Path setting
To: None <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/10/1998 00:16:17
On Thu, 8 Oct 1998 23:42:14 -0700 (PDT), Colin Wood wrote:

> Ahhhh!  That'll teach me to answer questions near by bedtime :-)  Thanks
> for catching that one, Ken.

No prob.

> As for having root's shell on /usr, it's a _very_ bad idea if you've got a
> separate /usr partition.  Trust me, when I was first learning how to use
> NetBSD, I switched root's shell and made quite a mess.  My /usr partition
> got totally horked and I had to go to some interesting lengths to fix
> things....yuck!

Yeah..., this is the kind of disastar I had in mind but I figured it
wouldn't be so bad as you can boot into single-user mode and choose
your shell.  You can always type enter at the prompt to choose
/bin/sh.

> As for the whole sh/csh thing....wow, quite a bourne shell bigot, aren't
> you ;-)

Yeah, aren't I? 8-) But it's not entirely a religious issue.  Csh is
simply awful as a scripting language, and the advantage in interactive
use it used to have is now long gone since Bourne-like shells caught
up with it.  So, I don't see any point in learning csh or even
continueing to use it.

> Anyway, what I do is just completely ignore root's shell.  I haven't
> logged in as root on one of my systems in several years (unless you count
> single user mode).  I usually just use "su -m".

This is a good point.

Ken