Subject: Re: Problem with 1.3.2 and X
To: Chris Jewell <jewell@jewellce.es.dupont.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/09/1998 09:53:45
Chris Jewell wrote:
> > sounds to me like you either didn't install the xfont.tgz distrib set, or
> > else managed to install it to the wrong place (i.e. somewhere other than
> > /usr/X11R6)
> >

>     I used the BSD installer to install the xwindows stuff and it put the
> font package in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts but there is no metion of
> something called "fixed" in any of the sub directories.

the "fixed" font is usually aliased to another font.  there should be some
kind of file (/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/fonts.alias, i think) which
describes what fonts are aliased to what.  all of the NxM fonts are
aliased as well, i believe.  perhaps that file has gotten corrupted?

> I even
> re-installed the font package and it still did not work.  The xwindows
> distribution is the one that was included in the ftp directory for 1.3.2
> so I know I have the corect version.  Is there anyway to change the
> default font so this error does not occur?

you can edit the file i mentioned to point "fixed" to some other font, but
i think the server has some kind of hard-coded dependency on finding the
"fixed" font.

as for why you're still hitting this problem, i really don't know.  it's a
little strange...you might try running mkfontdir(1) and perhaps that will
clean things up for you.

>  Also, in the rc.conf do I need
> to have xdm set to YES?

no, not unless you want to run xdm.  xdm is the x display manager which
takes over your console and kinda makes your machine a dedicated x
terminal. read the manpage if you've never seen xdm before.

> When I boot I get an error saying it cannot find
> the libarary for the xdm stuff?  I know there is a way to add the X11R6
> lib to the lib path with ldconfig but, how can I set that to be done at
> boot up?

create /etc/ld.so.conf and add a few lines like:

/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/pkg/lib
/usr/local/lib

to it.  then, assuming the boot sequence ordering is correct, ldconfig
will be run automatically by /etc/rc...

i hope this helps some.

later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation