Subject: Re: Path setting
To: None <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/08/1998 23:42:14
Ken Nakata wrote:
Colin Wood wrote:
> ledfordm@gpc.peachnet.edu wrote:
> >      I am used to using bash as my shell but I don't know how to set the
> > path and where with csh.
>
> in all likelihood you can edit your .profile.  the path is probably
> already set in there.  if you're just going to do it on the command   line,
> this should work:
>
> export PATH=/path/to/bin1:/path/to/bin2:/and/so/on

No, reread what he wrote a bit more carefully.  He's used to using
*bash* (with which above would work just fine) but he's trying to set
the path within *csh*.  Not having read his post very carefully myself,
I suggested he install the bash binary package, but a more correct
solution would be change root's shell to /bin/sh from /bin/csh.
Changing root's shell to something under /usr might be like inviting a
disaster to happen (maybe it's not so bad, but I don't like it
nonetheless, especially when our /bin/sh has history and command line
editting on its own; I use bash as a normal, non-root user, though).

I always change root's shell to /bin/sh as soon as I do a fresh install
whether it's NetBSD or something else.  I personally think no variant of
csh should ever be distributed with the rest of the system.

Cheers,

Ken

Ahhhh!  That'll teach me to answer questions near by bedtime :-)  Thanks
for catching that one, Ken.

As for having root's shell on /usr, it's a _very_ bad idea if you've got a
separate /usr partition.  Trust me, when I was first learning how to use
NetBSD, I switched root's shell and made quite a mess.  My /usr partition
got totally horked and I had to go to some interesting lengths to fix
things....yuck!

As for the whole sh/csh thing....wow, quite a bourne shell bigot, aren't
you ;-)  It's a BSD tradition that, unlike on other systems, root uses
csh.  But that's probably a religious issue that'll I'll be happy to
ignore.

Anyway, what I do is just completely ignore root's shell.  I haven't
logged in as root on one of my systems in several years (unless you count
single user mode).  I usually just use "su -m".

Later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation