Subject: Re: Cry babe, cry... Installer error on Mac IIci
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/08/1998 02:07:16
On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, Colin Wood wrote:

> Ummmm....I think that we might have real problems with a drive containing
> HFS+ partitions.  I want to say that someone (Steve Allen, maybe?) ran
> into this a few months ago.  However, there are other known problems with
> large drives and having the NetBSD partitions towards the end of the
> drive.  In general, I find that NetBSD works better when it's at the
> beginning of a drive or on the drive by itself.

My /var partition shares a 3.2G drive with a 2.0G HFS+ and 4 other MacOS
partitions. The present setup has been stable and reliable for several
months. I've already explained my observations on partitioning at great
length, so I won't repeat them here.

I will second the "drive by itself" thing. That way, a first time user
can't go wrong, and he can always leverage one small drive towards a
larger system. Doing a low-level format and laying the partitions down in
one shot, without tweaking, also has a reasonable chance of success.