Subject: Re: Boot Problem -- ttyflags lock it up - *solved*
To: greg walsh <gwalsh@artec.com>
From: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/01/1998 13:07:26
On Thu, 1 Oct 1998, greg walsh wrote:

> At 6:44 PM -0700 on 09/30/98, Bob Nestor wrote:
>
> >In the off chance that it is the same bug, you might try physically
> >disconnecting any serial devices from the Serial Ports before booting
> >NetBSD.  If this does fix the problem for you it would be extrememly
> >helpful if you could let us know what version of NetBSD you're running
> >and what serial device was causing the problem.
>

> !! That solved it !!  Thanks Everybody!!
>

> I'm running the CD ROM release of 1.3.2, on an 840av.  I've got three
> partitions on a 500MB Quantum.  The offending serial device was a Epson
> Stylus 800.  I pulled the serial plug, rebooted and everything came up.
>
> #Is this the fix, or is this solving a different problem?

This problem is a different one. It is not, AFAIK, fixed in NetBSD 1.3.2.
Hopefully it will be fixed in 1.3.3, though no date for that has been set.

The problem is with the Epson. It is sending a clock signal to the
computer, which the computer is not expecting.

First, try setting clock rates on the different clock source pins in the
booter. I think that won't work, though. The problem is that I think the
1.3.2 driver goes looking at the pin before it gets a chance to notice
that it should ignore the pin.

If you can compile kernels, we can test this and get it working.

Take care,

Bill