Subject: Re: Boot Problem -- ttyflags lock it up - *solved*
To: MacBSD List <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: greg walsh <gwalsh@artec.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/01/1998 10:51:01
At 6:44 PM -0700 on 09/30/98, Bob Nestor wrote:

>What Henry is alluding to is an old bug (that Bill did fix) where the
>system would hang in ttyflag during boot if there were certain devices
>connected to the Mac's Serial Ports.

>In the off chance that it is the same bug, you might try physically
>disconnecting any serial devices from the Serial Ports before booting
>NetBSD.  If this does fix the problem for you it would be extrememly
>helpful if you could let us know what version of NetBSD you're running
>and what serial device was causing the problem.

!! That solved it !!  Thanks Everybody!!

I'm running the CD ROM release of 1.3.2, on an 840av.  I've got three
partitions on a 500MB Quantum.  The offending serial device was a Epson
Stylus 800.  I pulled the serial plug, rebooted and everything came up.

#Is this the fix, or is this solving a different problem?

At 5:49 PM -0700 on 09/30/98,  Henry wrote re: "fsck's and partitions"

>If anyone is still reading let me say that the solution I finally
>settled
>on is a little different from the one I posted here.  Instead of
>disabling
>boot-fsck of one partition I changed the sequence number to 1
>(normally 2)
>in /etc/fstab.  That way it does do the fsck on boot, but it does
>several
>disks sequentially instead of in parallel.

I'd sure love to be able to get this Epson printed hooked up just for
basic text at least.   Any thoughts?

I'm talking off tonight for a week, an I won't be responding to my
email for a week or so.  I'm praying like hell you guys keep putting
your comments in this thread -- with the solution--!

Anyway, thanks again to everyone for jumping in to lend a hand, I
really appreciate it.

Back in a week

----
greg walsh ::  Artec Communications  -  gwalsh@artec.com