Subject: FW: Slightly off topic serial console
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Ulrich Hausmann <ulrich.hausmann@a2e.hp.shuttle.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/30/1998 09:47:02
I sent this 12 hrs ago, but it didn't com thru. Now, looking a bit
closer, I see it is addressed to "port-mac68k-owner@netbsd.org"! How can
this happen. I simply did: reply all!
             ^^^^^

Best regards, Ulrich

PS. Sorry, in case I'd post twice.

----------
Von: "Ulrich Hausmann" <ulrich.hausmann@a2e.hp.shuttle.de>
An: port-mac68k-owner@netbsd.org
Betreff: Re: Slightly off topic serial console
Datum: Mit, 30. Sep 1998 0:16 Uhr

On Dienstag, 29. September 1998 20:31:59 Uhr, Hauke Fath wrote:

>That limit depends on the transmission speed and should be much larger for
>the Macintoshes' RS-422 than for a vanilla RS-232 line because of their
>differential lines -- definitely more than 5m with, say, 38k4.
>
>What line length are we talking about?

Hauke,

thanks for jumping in :)). I should have said, that's not a Mac but an
Apple //c+ I want to connect in this way remotely. The //c+ ser port is
weak, although minidin 8, it's really the same as for wiring as the
original Din 5 //c ser port. At max it can do 19200, reliably only 9600.

The distance I'd have to cover is about 35 meters.

As for the way I want to connect, I know it's possible to do it in the
way I have in mind from the //c+ to a Wintel machine, using ProTERM 3.1
on the Apple. So I thought that might be possible also with a NetBSD
driven ser port (?). My idea is, I'd simply log in by direct connection
using VT100 on the Apple . . .

Best regards, Ulrich