Subject: Re: Boot Problem -- ttyflags lock it up
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: greg walsh <gwalsh@artec.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/29/1998 20:31:20
At 3:01 PM -0700 on 09/29/98, you wrote:

>greg walsh wrote:
>> I just installed 1.3.2 on a Quadra 840av with 80mb ram.  I'm running
>>it
>> on a Connor 500mg drive with three partitions set up as "root/usr",
>> "swap", "usr".   I'm using native video with an old Apple 16"
>>monitor.
>> Installation went fine, and the machine boots into single user mode
>> without a problem.
>>
>> However, when I edit the rc.conf line "rc_configured" to =YES the
>>boot
>> hangs at the line in the rc script "ttyflags -a".   It just locks the
>> machine and I need to do a hard reboot.
>
>is it locking up on the ttyflags call, or is it actually the next line?

When it's booting, the screen echos "setting ttys flags" and then it
chokes, so I'm assuming it'sthe "ttyflags -a"  line that's doing it.

>nooooo!!  the only thing that should actually be on is ttye0.  the line
>for console and tty00 and tty01 should both be off....perhaps this is
>the
>problem?

The vanilla ttys is set up this way,  ttye0 is set to ON, and
*everything* else is set to either "off secure" or "none net" .

>> Also, in configuring the rc.conf, should I go with the defaults?
>
>sure, unless there is something in there which you really don't need
>and
>can turn off...

I'm still scratching my head figuring out what's there. : )

>oh, no, not at all.  if you're completely new to unix, it might be a
>bit
>tough, but i find that the system as a whole is pretty well documented
>and
>runs pretty well.  it's a lot nicer than the version of AIX that i'm
>currently using, for example.

Cool.  The man pages all look good.  Evidently there's  an additional
3-4mb of  documentation that gets installed with the distribution, but
to to print out, you  gotta get the printer going first.  Hmmmmmm....

>> Ahhhh one other thing.  I downloaded a bunch of the original BSD 4.4
>> material, but it's all unix .ps files.  Does anyone have an epson
>>(800)
>> printer working with NetBSD?
>
>not that i know of, but someone might have not reported it yet.

I wonder if I can get it to emulate an HP?  Shelby pointed me towards
the Ghostscript. 5.50 postscript interpretor, but I imagine it still
needs a printer installed to work from the unix side.  Fortunately
there seems to be a Mac version as well.

>if you have a copy of the
>unix sysadmin handbook, it's a hell of a lot more useful.  if you're
>new
>to unix, you might want to get a book on being a unix user, tho.  there
>are a number of useful books on the subject.

Yeah, I've got the sysadmin handbook, unix for the impatient, the
nutshell book and unix powertools.  As I get my feet wet, I'm sure I'll
start to see the logic open up and I'll begin to map the territory.
Right now it's a little like the start of assembling a giant puzzle,
I'm  looking for "edge pieces" first.

But none of the books are specific enough to this particular problem
for me to really find the solution. Sysadmin Handbook is the closest,
but I'm still a stumped.  It's kinda interesting to go problem solving
without any background in the process, eh?

Thanks Colin

----
greg walsh ::  Artec Communications  -  gwalsh@artec.com