Subject: Re: Slightly off topic serial console
To: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/29/1998 17:41:12
On Tue, 29 Sep 1998, Michael G. Schabert wrote:
> No, I definitely would NOT try to use twisted pair for serial
> communications! LocalTalk is NOT the same as serial connection. LocalTalk
> spec only uses those 2 pair of wires. The Serial port, however, is an 8-pin
> port (other than the 660 and 840 AVs which have a 9th pin), and hardware
> handshaking uses all 8 pins, I believe (but it's been awhile since I
> actually needed to know). So, you cannot use PhoneNet connectors to do
> serial communications.

Well, technically and nitpickily, LocalTalk is a serial connection, as is
Ethernet. They're a different kind of serial though...

But for normal serial connections... it's true that you can't use PhoneNet
connectors, but you certainly can use twisted pair cabling. Whether it's
actually a good idea or not, I'm not sure, but it's probably not too bad
of an idea, since companies make these DB25 to 8pin modular jack adapters.
I've run a 57.6kbaud connection over about 100 feet of 10BaseT ethernet
cable using those adapters without any problems. I put Rx+/Rx- on a
pair, Tx+/Tx- on another pair, and randomly distributed the rest of the
lines :) (I think HSKo got paired with ground, and HSKi was paired with
GPI).
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 22 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++